Time is a precious commodity and no-one realizes this more than an online marketer who, given a chance, would surely wish for the usual 24 hours to be extended by a few more hours. Online marketing is all about researching a variety of subjects, searching for information, writing on different topics and being a part of the blogging community, all of which can be time consuming enough. In such a situation, how would you react when told about a method that is equally effective if not more and is definitely time saving?
Wordpress is the byword here and all you need to do is to familiarize yourself with the following hacks in order to get your blog going without dedicating too much time on it -
- Opt for full-screen mode - Writing is a task that is carried out best when your focus and concentration are at their best. Unfortunately, the wordpress screen is designed in a manner that your writing session would feature distractions galore - unless of course you decide to switch to full-screen mode. By clicking on the full-screen icon on your editor, you would transit into a stark white screen that would enable your thoughts to flow quickly, logically and sequentially and finish writing within no time. Existing out of this mode is equally simple and can be achieved by clicking on the icon once again.
- Make adjustments in the editor - Working in the full-screen mode would also mean that the appearance would be very different from how it would appear once it goes live on the Internet. Rather than ignoring the setting, a better option would be to adjust the width as per the screen of the final layout and then begin writing.
- Learn how to handle links - Building links is one of the main objectives for bloggers and that is why it is important to be aware of shortcuts which help in achieving this objective with ease. While working in full-screen mode, you can add links using keyboard shortcuts rather than exit the mode just for the sake of clicking on the icon. Likewise, searching for internal links is also easy - all you need to do is click on the option marked 'existing content' and Wordpress would derive all your posts from archives and display them in form of a list for you to check and choose.
- Use keyboard shortcuts - True though it is that using the mouse for performing the simplest actions becomes a habit while working on the computer, being aware of keyboard shortcuts has its own advantages. Knowing that Ctrl + C will result in forming copies, Ctrl + B would bold the selected text and several other shortcuts would save you the time of existing your editor mode for simple tasks only to come back to it a few minutes later.
- Drop images without media library - How about bypassing the 'Add Media' button totally and dropping images directly into your post? This tip will not just save you plenty of time but also enable you to continue working without your thought process being affected.
- Clearly defining job description - Assuming that you are a professional blogger with a team, assigning clearly defined job descriptions to each of the team members will ensure that process is smooth and blogs that are uploaded are reflective of good quality. In case you feel that one of the members might be lacking in his role, it just takes a couple of minutes on Wordpress to make changes so that they are immediately implemented.
- Editing tips - Editing your blog is a must and while it is normal to go through manually and make changes as and when required, this process can be shortened considerably if you are using Wordpress. There is an option named 'Quick Edit' wherein you can edit certain sections of the post by simply choosing the relevant button. It is also possible to customize the editting option by showing/hiding the various buttons as per your post's requirements.
- Inserting media through Auto-Embed - Adding media to render the blog post more interesting is a universal practice and while the usual method entails using shortcodes, Wordpress does have an Auto-Embed option. This option calls for inserting the url of a website which is supported by Wordpress like YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu and so on. Of course you need to be aware of the types that would be supported and once that is ascertained it is just a matter of copying links and pasting them.
- Categorizing your posts - Every blog post in Wordpress is assigned a category and if you are yet to assign one to your post, by default it will be classified under 'uncategorized'. At this point you must assign a category to it by going into Posts, Categories and then choosing one or morecategories depending on the content of the blog. Clicking on 'Update' is a must so that your blog comes under a category which is a little more descriptive and hence professional.
- Sizing your images - Images generate interest and attract visitors but inserting them is a task which many bloggers find time-consuming. Making use of media setting is what you must do to ensure that all your images are sized uniformly and fit well into the blog post.